epike on Wed, 8 May 2002 17:51:12 -0400

[PLUG] dns questions

hi :

I'm trying to learn DNS/BIND right now and am about to
start learning to configure my own internal DNS for
testing purposes, are there any concerns I should be
worried about, such as disrupting my ISP or disrupting
remote accesses from the outside to my host?

Here are the facts:

1.  comcast cable - dynamic IP
2.  i have an entry in dyndns.org, lets call that
    xxx.dyndns.org.  the linux box is already configured
    properly to update records in dyndns.org when
    IP changes.
3.  "enable wildcards" in dyndns.org are enabled...that
    means yyy.xxx.dyndns.org will reach my host for any
    yyy from the outside.

4.  linksys router, all internal machines are on 192.168.1.0/24

5.  I've already learned and setup local DNS cache (127.0.0.1#53)
    and setup the dns to forward queries to my ISP's dns servers.

basically i want to define a zone for internal
 machines to see each other as a.xxx.dyndns.org,
b.xxx.dyndns.org, c.xxx.dyndns.org,
or simply a, b, c, etc.  I was wondering if there's something
else I need to worry about?  For sure I have to pull this off
withought specifying my outside IP address (the one
from comcast) to the zone file, right?

e pike / JondZ