Mike Pflugfelder on Fri, 10 May 2002 00:10:19 +0200

[PLUG] Logwatch and perl

Hi all, hoping for a push in the right direction here...  I've got a RHLinux
machine running proftpd and logwatch.  Everything is running fine there.
I've also got another machine running RHLinux and Nagios (NetSaint) which
monitors the FTP server.  I'm currently getting bombarded with messages from
logwatch every 15 minutes on the FTP server stating that an FTP session was
opened then closed.  I somewhat expect this because I've got NetSaint set to
test the FTP server every 15 minutes.

What I'm looking for is a way to trim down my logwatch report.  Should I be
looking at logwatch's config file to trap that message and just ignore it?
If so, could someone give me some direction as the
/etc/log.d/scripts/services/proftpd-messages script is written in perl, and
I don't know the first thing about perl.  Or should I be looking at a better
way to test my FTP server to see if it's up and running using Nagios?

TIA,
-Mike

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -
Arthur C. Clarke