George Langford on Sun, 12 May 2002 11:09:48 -0400

[PLUG] CDWriter hangs the computer during fixation

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

A vexing problem is preventing my Linux PC from being useful.

I can set up a CD-burn with XCDRoast and initiate the burn
just fine.  Problem arises when the CDWriter attempts to
fixate the CD.  The burn itself goes smoothly at 12X - the
drive runs at a moderate but steady speed.  When the fixation
process starts, the drive hunts up & down for a happy speed,
but after several minutes the NumLock & CapsLock LED's start
blinking, and all I can do is press the "eject" button on
the drive - which ejects just fine - and then press the reset
button on the PC - no combination of keystrokes has any effect
and the cursor is nowhere to be seen, so the mouse is also
frozen. This has happened with three CD-disks, two of them
with the same setup but different disk makers.   When I look
at the CD, I can see that it has indeed been burned, but it's
just a coaster now.

The only error message received during the burn process is
that the S/W does not like the starting position (0) returned
by the drive and substitutes -150 instead.  The CD is still
recognized by the BIOS Autodetect only when I leave the Linux
boot floppy in the drive during bootup.

Perhaps one of you knows where this problem arises ...

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/