Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 12 May 2002 13:08:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CDWriter hangs the computer during fixation

Did you try to press: ctrl-alt-f1? This should allow you to login at
console.

Which kernel are you running? This sounds kernel level to me, which means
that this is really bad: 'uname -a' and post to list.

> with the same setup but different disk makers.   When I look
> at the CD, I can see that it has indeed been burned, but it's
> just a coaster now.

Try to burn at a slower speed. Also try to burn on cli to see if that's
the trouble.

Which ver of xcdroast are you using?

> The only error message received during the burn process is
> that the S/W does not like the starting position (0) returned
> by the drive and substitutes -150 instead.  The CD is still
> recognized by the BIOS Autodetect only when I leave the Linux
> boot floppy in the drive during bootup.

I've seen flaky hardware probs hang linux before. But I'm not yet sure
that's the trouble.

Good luck,

Fred