Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 12 May 2002 12:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] can i fork a process in the bash shell?

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 11:34:30AM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 01:43:50PM -0400, Nick Rongione wrote:
> > Specifically, I want to kick off a delete of a huge directory and in
> > the mean time interact with the user a bit more. Only when i know the
> > delete is complete I want to continue doing the rest of the script
> > actions.
> >
> > I don't know how to pull that off in bash. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Fred proposed looping on a ps, which would surely work.
>
> You might also do something like the following:
>
>     tmp=/tmp/foo.$$.`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%s`
>     rm -rf $dir $tmp &
>     do_stuff
>     while [ -r $tmp ]; do sleep 1; done
>     do_more_stuff
>
> The rm will remove the directory first, then move on to its second
> argument. This may not be entirely portable, as some rm implementation
> somewhere may just perversely unlink its arguments in reverse order.

Sorry, the careful reader no doubt realized that I forgot to point out
that you have to touch $tmp before rm'ing it.

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>