Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 13 May 2002 11:21:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

> It asks me for my password (I took Gabe's advice, and made it use
> SSH, at least on the CVS server itself). Then it left me in a file
> with these contents
>
> CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------
> CVS: Enter Log.  Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed
> automatically
> CVS:
> CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------

This is good. This is the logfile that will be stored with this ver of
your work.

> Not knowing WHAT the hell this meant, I merely wrote out the file.
> :-) (I'm just helping set this up; I don't use CVS, myself)

Yes, this is the right thing to do.

> cvs [import aborted]: reading syslog: Permission denied
> mjl@slimtop:/var/log$
>
> I'm guessing that SOME part of CVS is working?

OK, CVS works, but the user you were logging in as doesn't have perms to
write to the dirs you want. Best thing to do is to make a group (cvs) and
add mjl to it. Then you can give r/w perms to the files in cvs. Make sure
you know which ones to give perms to or someone here will get mad at me as
this will open up many holes probably. I'm lazy and crazy so I enable r/w
for all on my cvs dirs so I don't have to worry about that again. :)

Fred