Michael Leone on Mon, 13 May 2002 09:23:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

On 13 May 2002 at 0:55, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> > I'm trying to help someone setup CVS on his Debian system. It all
> > seemed to install correctly. I see the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> Is there a reason not to use ssh? Just asking.

Not really. Just haven't done so yet. Except that there will be cvs
clients will be Win and/or Mac machines, to a Linux CVS box. But I
presume (hopefully) there's some way to make WinCVS (for example) do
it's stuff over SSH to a Linux CVS server.

> > When I try and initialize a repository, it doesn't seem to work if I
> > specify it as a :pserver, but does seem to init if I do it locally.
>
> Can you do a sample checking locally?
>
> cvs import sandbox sandbox start

It asks me for my password (I took Gabe's advice, and made it use
SSH, at least on the CVS server itself). Then it left me in a file
with these contents

CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------
CVS: Enter Log.  Lines beginning with `CVS:' are removed
automatically
CVS:
CVS: ----------------------------------------------------------------

Not knowing WHAT the hell this meant, I merely wrote out the file.
:-) (I'm just helping set this up; I don't use CVS, myself)

cvs [import aborted]: reading syslog: Permission denied
mjl@slimtop:/var/log$

I'm guessing that SOME part of CVS is working?

> > cvs -d :pserver:mjl@localhost:/usr/local/cvs login
> > Logging in to :pserver:mjl@localhost:2401/usr/local/cvs
> > CVS password:
> > /usr/local/cvs: no such repository
>
> Locally do ls /usr/local/cvs and post here.

I did; here it is again

mjl@slimtop:/var/log$ ls -la /usr/local/cvs
total 12
drwxrwxrwx    3 cvsuser  cvsgroup     4096 May 12 23:44 .
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 May  8 16:45 ..
drwxrwxr-x    3 mjl      mjl          4096 May 12 23:44 CVSROOT