Michael Leone on Mon, 13 May 2002 00:23:38 -0400

[PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

I'm trying to help someone setup CVS on his Debian system. It all seemed to
install correctly. I see the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.

When I try and initialize a repository, it doesn't seem to work if I specify
it as a :pserver, but does seem to init if I do it locally.

mjl@slimtop:~$ cvs -d :pserver:mjl@localhost:/usr/local/cvs init
cvs init: warning: skipping invalid entry in password file at line 1
/usr/local/cvs: no such repository
mjl@slimtop:~$ cvs -d /usr/local/cvs init
mjl@slimtop:~$

So it seems here that there *is* a repository created. And I do see it:

mjl@slimtop:~$ ls -la /usr/local/cvs
total 12
drwxrwxrwx    3 cvsuser  cvsgroup     4096 May 12 23:44 .
drwxr-xr-x    9 root     root         4096 May  8 16:45 ..
drwxrwxr-x    3 mjl      mjl          4096 May 12 23:44 CVSROOT

However, when I try to login:

cvs -d :pserver:mjl@localhost:/usr/local/cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:mjl@localhost:2401/usr/local/cvs
CVS password:
/usr/local/cvs: no such repository

It looks like it's accepting the password (since there's no password error),
but it also thinks there's no repository.

This is the first time I've set up CVS, and my web searches and doc reads
don't seem to be coming up with anything. I didn't create a passwd file in
/usr/local/cvs, and the docs say that it should then default to using the
system passwd file. And I am using the correct password for my account.

I've been told that this system isn't using MD5 passwords; would that make a
difference?