Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 13 May 2002 00:57:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

> I'm trying to help someone setup CVS on his Debian system. It all seemed to
> install correctly. I see the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.

Is there a reason not to use ssh? Just asking.

> When I try and initialize a repository, it doesn't seem to work if I specify
> it as a :pserver, but does seem to init if I do it locally.

Can you do a sample checking locally?

cvs import sandbox sandbox start

> cvs -d :pserver:mjl@localhost:/usr/local/cvs login
> Logging in to :pserver:mjl@localhost:2401/usr/local/cvs
> CVS password:
> /usr/local/cvs: no such repository

Locally do ls /usr/local/cvs and post here.

Once we are sure this works flawlessly locally, we can work out the
networking kinks. I find that using ssh is at least as easy as pserver,
and more secure. I've always had a few snags in getting pservers set up
and they seem to be a bit of a hole anyway.

good luck,

Fred