gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 13 May 2002 09:09:31 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:55:54AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> auth.log has nothing, nor does syslog. I can't find any other log
> that says anything. I would have thought auth.log would, since it is
> trying to log in, but it's empty of any messages from cvs.

Depends on what you've got syslog sending there.

It might be worth checking the pserver code to see where it stores
login info, though.

Also, you'd do better to actually use a local-to-pserver password
file, since the passwords to login to it get stored in clear text on
the client side. (It's possible logging in via system passwords was
purposely broken at some point and the documentation hasn't caught
up.)

> It did, but then I removed it, so now there is none. But the
> repository should still exist, and yet it still says that it doesn't
> (after removing .cvspass).

You did issue a cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/usr/local/cvs login after
removing the old .cvspass, right?

(I still say "repository doesn't exist" could well be a spurious
error message.)

> I'll pass that along to the person who wants it set up. He wants to
> be able to access the CVS server from another station on the LAN, but
> I doubt he'll have a problem doing it your way. As long as it works.
> :-)

This method definitely uses system passwords (it's just as if you
were executing the commands locally, but ssh--as rsh would--passes
the data stream back to your local machine.)

> mjl@slimtop:/var/log$ cvs login
> cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
> cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: slimtop.his-domain.com:/usr/local/cvs

cvs login makes no sense with the rsh login method. Just do your
cvs import/checkout/update/whatever.

(This is because login information is *not* stored--in clear
text--in a .cvspass file; that is, cvs doesn't do the login stuff
itself.)

> The vast majority of the time, it will only be transferred from one
> station on the LAN to another. Not from remote (i.e., out of the
> office) locations, altho that might happen occasionally.

And you trust that network? Really? Any 802.11B on it? You sure?

> Happens each and every time, where I do it on the repository machine,
> or from other stations, so it's consistent, at least.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that the error that's getting reported
is correct.

> mjl@slimtop:/var/log$ cvs --version
>
> Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1 (client/server)

That's good, at least.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net