Michael Leone on Mon, 13 May 2002 09:52:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Problems setting up CVS

On 13 May 2002 at 9:08, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 08:55:54AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > auth.log has nothing, nor does syslog. I can't find any other log
> > that says anything. I would have thought auth.log would, since it is
> > trying to log in, but it's empty of any messages from cvs.
>
> Depends on what you've got syslog sending there.
>
> It might be worth checking the pserver code to see where it stores
> login info, though.

Not by me; I'm not a programmer. :-) I might be able to puzzle it
out, eventually - by which time, he'll have some other option in
place. since he does have a need for CVS.

> Also, you'd do better to actually use a local-to-pserver password
> file, since the passwords to login to it get stored in clear text on
> the client side. (It's possible logging in via system passwords was
> purposely broken at some point and the documentation hasn't caught
> up.)
>
> > It did, but then I removed it, so now there is none. But the
> > repository should still exist, and yet it still says that it doesn't
> > (after removing .cvspass).
>
> You did issue a cvs -d :pserver:localhost:/usr/local/cvs login after
> removing the old .cvspass, right?

Yes. Still said no repository.

mjl@slimtop:/var/log$ more /home/mjl/.cvspass
/home/mjl/.cvspass: No such file or directory
mjl@slimtop:/var/log$ cvs -d :pserver:mjl@localhost:/usr/local/cvs
login
Logging in to :pserver:mjl@localhost:2401/usr/local/cvs
CVS password:
/usr/local/cvs: no such repository

> cvs login makes no sense with the rsh login method. Just do your
> cvs import/checkout/update/whatever.

Ah.

> > The vast majority of the time, it will only be transferred from one
> > station on the LAN to another. Not from remote (i.e., out of the
> > office) locations, altho that might happen occasionally.
>
> And you trust that network? Really? Any 802.11B on it? You sure?

He trusts it, apparently. :-) And I think there is 802.11b on it,
yes.

As I said, not my decision to make, since it's not my LAN, altho I
will recommend it.