Kyle R . Burton on Mon, 13 May 2002 22:20:19 +0200

[PLUG] Apache based applications [mod_perl]

For all the Apahce [mod_perl] experts out there.

I've got some software that runs under Apache/mod_perl.  It loads a small
configuraiton file at startup.  It loads the file at startup to cut down
on per-request overhead.  The settings in the configuraiton file are there
because it's nice to be able to not have them hard-coded in the software
(log file paths, a uri registry for speical handeling of inbound requests
to specific uri stubs, and so on).  Some of these settings (the uri registry)
are updated frequently enough that it would be nice to be able to re-load
and re-process the configuration file on demand (by being signaled by the
user) instead of having to stop/start or restart Apache.  The best solution
would be for a non-root user to be able to trigger this behavior.

Due to Apache's multi-process nature, and Perl's purported issues with
signal handlers, I'm not sure signals are the best solution.  Nor am I
convinced that monitoring the timestamp of the file is a great idea either.
Checking the timestamp for every request seems like a waste of resources
and on a busy system, also seems like it would be a bad way to handle it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to handle this?  I have some
famillarity with the Apache::* Perl modules, but don't know of a way
to do what I'm describing off the top of my head...

Thanks,

Kyle