gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 14 May 2002 00:04:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Mac-on-Linux

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:39:53PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> This has been out for a while:
>
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/yellowdog/1.0/Applications_Emulators.html

Wow! Neat!

Now that I see it there, I think I did read about it briefly a while
ago.

> I have never used it, though. I think it's like an emulator, but the
> processor is the same so that's not needed, but you are still in linux so
> a mac crash (rare as they are) doesn't bring down the box. Also, you can
> work on bin in konsole w/ shell and friends then compile for mac classic.

That's the same kind of emulation NetBSD does for Linux ELF binaries
on the i386 and macppc (and maybe mac68k, though I don't think it's
quite working yet) ports.

Which means, in theory, if I were really bored, I could run Mac OS
binaries under that under Linux emulation on my 7500 with a G3
running NetBSD 1.5.3_<recent>. But I'd almost definitely run into
graphics problems. (NetBSD's Xmacppc pretty much sucks and no
version of XF86 supports the built-in chipset in that machine, last
I checked.)

Probably about as much pain as Aleph One just to get my Marathon
buzz... ;^>

> I know. I meant mac classic. Mac OS X has mac classic emulation, IIRC.

Sure, but the thread was originally about building supposedly
portable software on Mac OS X (which is what prompted my question).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net