Noah Silva on Fri, 17 May 2002 08:26:28 -0400

[PLUG] Seagate st34371WC SCA

Hi,

I just got a Sun OEMed Seagate st34371WC SCA drive (in a 611 case).  I
hooked this up to a sun IPX Machine of mine and went into the prom.  The
"probe-scsi" command shows the device properly as being on ID 4.  When I
boot into linux, it doesn't show up at all.  doing a "cat
/proc/scsi/scsi" shows all of the connected devices except for the new
drive.  I am a bit confused here because... how could the drive return
an ID to the prom but not to linux.   I thought perhaps the drive didn't
like the narrow SCSI bus on the IPX, so I hooked it up to an Athalon
machine I have which has a wide SCSI card in it, and when I boot up on
that one, it shows up in /proc/scsi/scsi, but it appears not to be
assigned a device (e.g. /dev/sda).  I can't find a working device name
to run fdisk.

Any ideas?

 -- noah silva