Adam Turoff on Mon, 20 May 2002 12:23:59 -0400

Re: [PLUG] BSD Preferences?

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 08:58:47AM -0700, JP Toto wrote:
> Hi all. With the recent release of OpenBSD 3.1, and
> the impending release of FreeBSD 4.6, what BSD
> preferences do you have? I went to Gabe's presentation
> on NetBSD (excellent by the way) and I know he's a big
> fan because it annoys him the least. I've had some
> experience with FreeBSD 4.5 but that's about it. If I
> wanted to start learning BSD and putting it to
> practicle use as a file, web, email server - is one
> BSD easier/better than the other? Just curious to hear
> what you guys thought.

That's a personal preference, much like asking a list of
linux geeks "what's your favorite flavor of ice cream".

I use FreeBSD (4.5 at the moment; just downgraded from
an early pre-release earlier this month).  Why?  Because
I use Intel hardware, and FreeBSD comes with lots of stuff,
all well-integrated.  Plus, the ports system makes installing
new software a complete breeze.

Why not OpenBSD?  Because this is a desktop system, and I'm not
overly security-paranoid about it; I use it with a standard modem
dialout, most of the dangerous services disabled or blocked.  Would
I use OpenBSD?  Yes, if I were running a public server, a secondary
machine, or boutique hardware (non-x86).

Why not NetBSD?  Because I like the lots of stuff that's installed
by default to be there and be well-integrated.  Would I run NetBSD?
Yes, if I wanted to hack around a little more with the core OS, or
running a small system, or running boutique hardware (especially
older hardware).

Then there are the more focused BSDs, like TrustedBSD, MicroBSD
and the like.  :-)

I know people who would use OpenBSD for everything, or NetBSD, or
FreeBSD (on intel).

They're all pretty comparable these days in terms of basic features.
If you're familiar enough with Linux, you should feel at home within
about a week, regardless of which BSD you choose.

Enjoy!

Z.