Jeff Weisberg on Mon, 20 May 2002 22:20:18 +0200

Re: [PLUG] dns questions

| I'm also welcome for criticisms, if theres
| anything wrong with my setup. If anybody notice anything
| out of place let me know!  Here is how I set up my own local
| dns service:
[...]
|   IN NS ns.xxx.dyndns.org.
|   IN MX 10 mail.xxx.dyndns.org.
[...]
| ns                  IN CNAME xxx.dyndns.org.
| mail                IN CNAME xxx.dyndns.org.

both the NS and MX lines above have CNAMEs on the right side,
while this will _usually_ work ok (and since you are the only one that
will ever see this, it doesn't really matter), it is a violation of
RFC 1034 and RFC 974. it won't work in all nameservers, and will
cause additional work and traffic (in general, it will require 2 queries
instead of 1) on those that don't break.

instead say:
	ns		A	192.168.1.2
	mail		A	192.168.1.2

see also: rfc 1912