Kevin Brosius on Tue, 21 May 2002 09:22:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dvd troubles

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> Thanks for the quick, accurate response.
>
> I tried below:
>
> > dvd_form /dev/hdc (or /dev/scd0)
>
> This failed w/
>
> [root@gall] /data/follinge/src> ./formatdvd /dev/hdd
> * DVD+RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 2.0.
> - [unable to GET CONFIGURATION]: Input/output error

Ok, well, unless the dvd is already formatted, I think this is required
to work before the below will be fully successful.

I know there are some restrictions on which kernel versions formatdvd
will work on.  Any chance that's an issue?  There are also kernel
patches available, in case you have a version which doesn't have needed
features.

> OK, let's try below:
>
> >   growisofs -R -J -Z /dev/scd0 /some/files
>
> This worked (I used /dev/hdd).

Hmm, I'm surprised hdd worked here.  I thought the scsi device node was
needed.  I could be wrong, but I thought mine failed if I tried a hd?
device name here.

Either way, after the first use of this command, you should be able to
mount the dvd.  Also, you can just use this command again to erase/write
the same info.  It should succeed the second time also.  (But I think
you'll need to get the format working first.)

> >   growisofs -R -J -M /dev/scd0 /other/files
>
> This also failed:
>
> [root@gall] /data/follinge/src> ./growisofs -R -J -M /dev/hdd quota-tools/
> :-( unable to pread64(2) primary volume descriptors: Input/output error
>
> I would be happy just writing once, however, how to mount dvd? The regular
> mount like a cd failed.

If you're successful with the above (single growisofs -Z) command, then
a 'mount /mnt /dev/scd0' should get you a clean mount.  If not, then
something is still wrong.

--
Kevin Brosius