Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 21 May 2002 20:26:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dhcp with a domain other than the server's

Wrote to pinkee to reduce spam, reposting to list b/c this is religious.
:)

> > That's how I started coding, too. One of the best things about unix is
> > that you the move from user to coder is much less than other systems. I
> > have heard that was a bad thing, though. :)
>
> I am not intending to start a flame war. Honestly. I have never coded. I
> want to start learning. I am looking for nice polite suggestions as a

Why not shell? I mean, I'm sure you know enough all ready if you use the
command line at all, there are
howtos online for bash. I learned bash first. My first big script was to
backup everything, first to floppy, then zip, then cdrom. Easy.

> good starting language. I want to learn perl, but have been convinced I
> will burn in programming purgatory if I start with it, so what would you

You won't burn. I learned perl next.

I honestly think that python should be the first language, though,
followed by java or c++. You really _should_ learn perl and probably be
forced to. For the same reason that other inferior designs (I won't
mention names--i386) are going to be supported forever, this is mainly b/c
there are so many perl scripts out there.

Hell, debian relies on perl which I think was a bad a idea, but not too
bad. I don't think it should rely on anything more than, bash, b/c I like
the bare-bones idea, but I did hear that python scripts will compile
somehow, correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, I do idiotic things like try to install linux on things like a
zip disk (it worked for a bit, couldn't get it to boot, though), so I take
this to an extreme.

Fred