epike on Wed, 22 May 2002 12:58:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Persistent problems w. preinstalled RH 7.2 Linux

> It's beginning to look as though the "best" way of dealing with
> my W98 box's inability to burn a CD is to network it with the
> Linux box and then to transfer (via ftp, tar or samba) the
> resulting monster (50 to 150 MB) files to the Linux box for
> archiving on the Linux box's CD-R/W drive; and then "reset" the
> Linux box; and then check the resulting CD-R disk with the W98
> box's word processor.

If your going this way, one fun thing to try would be to mount
the windows samba share and "stream" from the network to
the cd-rw directly, this could actually make it easier for your
IDE disks since the burning process is from network->cdrw
instead of disk->cdrw (which share the same ide chain).
something like mkisofs piped to cdrecord.
Assuming your network / samba is stable enough.  The fixation
phase is probably going to be still a problem though.

personally though I just burn on the windows box and store
the files on the linux's samba shares.    This could also
be an option for you, since it looks like your cdrw
is pretty bad with linux, and linux will make a very good
samba share.

e pike