Kevin Brosius on Thu, 23 May 2002 10:24:56 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AS/400 update

"W. Chris Shank" wrote:

> Kevin:
> > Sounds almost like an SCA SCSI setup.  Are the drives in trays that
> > look like they
>
> Yes!
>
> But I need to figure out the voltages for the power in. the backplane has a
> scsi in and scsi out - the CDROM and Tape were connected via the SCSI out.
> Also the cable had a SCSI external connector that was attached to a hidden
> window on the front of the AS/400.
>
> Where did you buy the SCA unit? Ideally, I'd like to put the disks in an
> external unit, because I cannot fit them inside the PC. I was considering
> trying to use the AS/400's chassis and backplane - but powering it seems
> like it maight be a kludge.

I got a system, but you can pick up SCA external drive boxes.  At the
time I found some on ebay.  Here's a full box, more than you want:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2024228621

I recall seeing 4/5 drive external sca bays for about $100.  I can't
find any on ebay at the moment though.  I bet one of the bigger disk
drive houses would have them though.  Maybe dirtcheapdrives or
Megahous.  I found a rather expensive example (~$675) at
http://www.megahaus.com/cgi-bin/webstore.exe.  Check RAID solutions,
RAID ready enclosures, Dataport SCA case w/4 cartridges.

Looking at their offerings, I'd look for something on ebay, without
cartridges.  You'd do a lot better on price.

--
Kevin Brosius