Jeff Weisberg on Thu, 23 May 2002 14:25:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: ...compatible browser or else!

| Probably right, but let's do the cost benefit analysis.
[...]
| Here's my calculations: better site cost = $0
| potential sales: thousands

I know many web developers, none of them charge $0.

| I'm not an accountant nor good in business, but I think a better site
| should have been done all ready.

If a business has an infinite amount of money, the best strategy is
to spend it on anything with a positive return.

If a business has a finite amount of money, the best strategy is to
spend it on only those things with the highest returns.

Mazda (eg.) has finite money. Some VP with a corner office determined
that a better web site would cost $X and increase sales by Y%. He also
determined that spending $X on a better TV commercial would increase
sales by Z%, where Z > Y. In order to keep his shareholders happy,
(and keep his corner office) he spends the money where the best return
is, on the TV commercial, not the web site.

	--jeff  "I'm not a business person, but I used to play one at work"