Michael F. Robbins on Fri, 24 May 2002 23:20:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] web apps (more general)

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 12:59, Paul wrote:
> >I'm curious what thoughts/experience other folks have for writing
> >non-trivial web apps, how to get results quickly, etc.
> Which leads me to a question that I've been wanting to ask (which I know
> has been asked before): What are some good OSS editors for making HTML
> forms and/or coding in PHP4?

I've been using Quanta (http://quanta.sourceforge.net/) for a while
now.  It's not too sophisticated, but it's effective.

As far as actual PHP programming tips, over the course of several
projects I've developed a sessions/authentication/permissions system
that I now  reuse in all my new work.  This has been a huge timesaver.
One of the key points to doing this is to make this library easily
expandable, because the different applications all require changes.

Also, there are some fairly complicated routines that I need to write
for an app.  At first, I'll write it the easiest way -- least
possibility for (human) mistakes.  Later, I go back and write it the
fastest way, even though this requires a whole rewrite of that
function/etc.  This gets the app running in the least amount of time,
yet I can still go back and make it faster later.  I believe that speed
really matters in web apps.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com