George Langford, Sc.D. on Sat, 25 May 2002 21:40:10 +0200

[PLUG] Progress report, not entirely on topic

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Not much progress in setting up a network, but here's a report
anyway.  This is coming to you from yet another computer, this
time a NEC Ready 9820 running W95.  The PowerSpec PC (from
Micro Center) got totally hosed in the process of my attempts
to get it to recognize any network settings.

On the other hand, the tutorial located at:

	http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/cmlan.html

was extremely clear (once I realized that one doesn't put
brackets around the entries in the hosts and hostname files)
and I could use ping within a couple of hours.  Of course,
it was impossible to get any packets back from the second
computer, but "ping 127.0.0.1" gave gratifying numbers,
including 0% packet loss.  So far, so good.

I hate the thought of getting a new copy of W95 or upgrading
to W98 (which is as far as I'd be willing to go as the last
resort, as it took superhuman patience to adapt to W98 after
losing DOS 6.22 and W3.11) so my present first choice is to
install a third hard drive in this computer (the NEC Ready)
and install the copy of Linux Mandrake that I'm anxiously
awaiting in the third drive after making it bootable.  I've
ordered 128 MB of EDO RAM memory, which is the maximum that
the NEC Ready motherboard (a.k.a. NV430VX) can handle.  The
Pentium processor runs at 20MHz, so it'll probably be fast
enough.  The new drive has 80GB capacity.  Then I'll get a
"good" network adapter (the second adapter that I attempted
to install in this computer, a D-Link DFE-530TX+, also was
a total failure, except that I stayed away from further
hassles with W95 and simply gave up on it after my first
careful attempts.  That one would not even fit in the Power
Spec PC's PCI slot, as it was right on top of the ISA slot
in which an aftermarket modem was installed, the Power Spec's
winmodem being entirely too flaky.  Talk about The Monopoly.

If successful, I am hoping to have the choice of running
MS Word 97 on either the W95 machine (in which it's presently
installed and working OK) or under Linux (using CodeWeavers'
Crossover Office, which just arrived).  Mebbe Linux Mandrake
will be able to run the HP CD burner that's presently
languishing, unusable under W95, in the NEC Ready.

I'll keep up the saga as long as it takes.
Thanks for your marvelous willingness to help.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com
http://www.amenex.com/