Bradley Molnar on Sun, 26 May 2002 23:20:03 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Unneeded programs running on startup

Looks like you have a RedHat system.

Kudzu is Redhat's program that looks for new hardware on start-up.  It
generally works well and only runs on start up (can be helpful if you add
new hardware, otherwise, it doesn't do much and I don't think that it is a
security risk).

atd is the at-daemon.  You can use it to schedual commands/programs to run
at certain times.  It is like crond (but cron will run things every
minute/hour/day and not at 11:39:45 pm on a certain day).

sshd is the program that waits for ssh client to connect to.  Not useful
unless you will be ssh-ing into your machine.

sgi_fam I think is part of fam which plugs into the kernel to let programs
know when directories have been updated.  Can be useful, some programs
require it (galeon or nautilus I think, but, not sure).

apmd might be useful as I think it is the program that shuts off the monitor
and hard drives after a certain amount of time.  Unless you are using this
as a server (which it doesn't sound like you are) this is actually helpful.

pcmcia is probably useless for you, unless you have a laptop.

nfslock you probably don't need either (unless you are using nfs for any
reason).

Webmin can be useful, since, it is a web based way to reconfigure your local
machine.  I usually use it for remote machines.

tripwire is a firewalling type software.  I don't know too much more about
it than that.  It might only be intrusion detection.

that should give you a start on some of the items below.  as is the case
most of the time, many of those you will use but not know it.  I think that
xinetd may be needed, but, sendmail is probably not (unless you are using
your machine as a mail server).

good luck
-brad

---
Everybody loves to love you when you're far away -- Better than Ezra, At the
Stars