Paul on Mon, 27 May 2002 21:28:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] File transfers

What is going on here?!

Do you have more than one kernel on the hard drive?

Floppy drives cost about $25 at CompUSA and $10 at a computer show.
It can't hurt to keep an extra new drive on hand.

Each IDE interface can run two hard drives.  Almost all mother boards
support four IDE drives.  An add-on card would raise that number to
six or eight.  My SoundBlaster 16 has a built-in port.  Do you have
any sound cards like that?  (Not that a dedicated PCI IDE card
wouldn't outperform a sound card interface.)

I don't know what you mean by "a good quality Ethernet card", but I've
always used cheap, 100baseT cards without a problem.  Cards like SMC
1211 with RealTek chips.  They cost less than $15.  Maybe $10.

You need someone to build a Windows PC for you?  I would build it for
you for less than a regular vendor.  That's almost too easy!

If you are going to have a Windows PC, why use a switch box for
printing?  You could just share it over the network.  Also, you could
enable Internet connection sharing.  Of course, you could turn that
around and let the Linux PC do the serving.

Move files using the CD-RW?!  What's wrong with using the network?!

I'm not just giving you a hard time.  I'm willing to help, but I just
started reading this thread.