George Langford, Sc.D. on Mon, 27 May 2002 16:05:06 -0400

[PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Yes, it's RedHat 2.4.13-ac6 ...
but ls also returns 2.4.7-10debug and 2.4.9-13 ...

If y'all remember, I'm having trouble getting automount to
detect the CD-R/W drive except when I use the boot floppy
as well as trouble with the Linux PC freezing at the end
of an otherwise successful CD-R burn.

Now think about all that underhanded activity going on that's
showing up in my "root" mail repository.  Mebbe there's a
connection here - as in those dreaded TSR's, screensavers, etc.
that screw up CD-R/W burns in The Monopoly's OS.

So, I propose stopping the following programs in my
"Service Configuration" file in order to shut down all
that surreptitious E-mailing activity:

	anacron - periodic task scheduler
	atd - runs jobs queued for later XEQ
	crond - job scheduler
	tripwire - intrusion detector
	sendmail - background mail client
	logwatch - 'cuz it's used in that BG activity ...
	webmin - there's no server in my Linux PC
	xinetd - same reason as for webmin ...
	portmap - same reason as for webmin ...
	pcmcia - 'cuz this ain't a laptop ... and doesn't
                 have any pcmcia slots that I know of ...

But I'm keeping the following programs:

	apmd - 'cuz it watches my activity & shuts off the
	        display after it's been unused for a while.
	sshd - needed for secure Netscape ?
	sgi_fam - file alteration monitor
	ntpd - used by Net Time
	nfslock - I dunno why I'm keeping this ...

That sounds like an awfully short list to me.
I'll wait to hear back from y'all.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com