Jesse Schultz on Tue, 28 May 2002 22:45:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

On Monday 27 May 2002 04:04 pm, you wrote:
> Hello fellow PLUGgers !
>
> Yes, it's RedHat 2.4.13-ac6 ...
> but ls also returns 2.4.7-10debug and 2.4.9-13 ...
>

> 	anacron - periodic task scheduler
> 	atd - runs jobs queued for later XEQ
> 	crond - job scheduler
In a default redhat install crond is being used to cycle the logs.  atd is
being used in conjunction with this and i am not sure about anacron.  anyhoo,
i would keep these.

> 	tripwire - intrusion detector
default this is running but not set up.  cron runs it periodically to check
file integrity.  This will detect trojaned files put on by root kits from
various linuc worms or crackers. (maybe, if it's not trojaned itself :-))

> 	sendmail - background mail client
Defaults to local only install in red hat
need this if you plan to use pine, mutt or elm.  fetchmail will download your
mail to a local sendmail install and will the others will use sendmail to
send your mail.

If you are connecting directly to an external mail server with netscape,
mozilla or kmail you will not need this. (unless you want to run a mail
server)

> 	xinetd - same reason as for webmin
Use as root:
/sbin/chkconfig --list
the tail end of this will list all processes under control of xinetd.  It is
the rough equivelant of inetd + tcpwrappers on other systems.

telnet, ftp,pop3, and finger servers are some of what are under it's control.

You really want to make sure you will not need to use any service under it's
control.

> But I'm keeping the following programs:
>
> 	sshd - needed for secure Netscape ?

Nothing to do with netscape, you are thinking of SSL

This  is the ssh server for establishing a secure command shell on your
system from another system.

You can connect with ssh.  securely copy with scp.  or use sftp, a secure ftp
like client.  much safer than telnetd

> 	nfslock - I dunno why I'm keeping this ...
this has to do with NFS file sharing, you are not likely to be using this.