christophe barbé on Mon, 27 May 2002 23:23:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 04:04:45PM -0400, George Langford, Sc.D. wrote:
> 	sendmail - background mail client

Ouch.

sendmail is not a 'background mail client' (if it means somthing).
sendmail is a MTA (mail transport agent), which is something different
from a MUA (mail user agent, what we call a mail client).
The job of a MTA is basically to .. transport mails.

A lot of software on your box expect to have a properly configured MTA,
when they want to send to the admin a mail to inform you of something
important, they simply give the mail to the MTA and the MTA take care.

They are a lot of people in this mailing-list to explain better
(correctly) the what and the why of an MTA.

My point is : let it running giving the fact that the redhat install has
certainly configured it correctly for you.

Then you can enjoy powerfull tools like 'mail' (man mail) and the best
MUA 'mutt'.

Christophe

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
talking about. -- John von Neumann