W. Chris Shank on Wed, 29 May 2002 03:40:13 +0200

[PLUG] AS/400 Hardware Update

For those of you who have been following this project (both of you), here is
where I stand with the hardware I salvaged from the free AS/400.

I got the scsi disks to work outside the SCA backplane, but they only come
up as 4.3G not 9.1 as I had thought. I'm going to guess that they probably
aren't 7200rpm either (:-{ i had to jumper the autostart pin and lowlevel
format from scsiselect, but i was able o install RH linux 7.3. also, i used
the 20x scsi cdrom i salvaged to do the install.

as for the SCA backplane. well it looks like i can use that also. i removed
the entire powersupply from the as/400 (including the electronic control
panel) and am powering the SCA backplane cage from it. at this moment, i am
low level formatting the scsi disks. i finished one and am working on the
rest. once this is done, i'll see if i can install linux to them as a
performance raid. actually - i think i'll install linux to a seperate disk
and use these as a seperate performance raid. once i know i can use the SCA
backplane, i'll figure out the pinout for the power connector and figure
it'spower consumption. then i'll likely alter an existing PC power supply
and make a nice tidy housing for it all. it won't be pretty, but it will be
pretty fun!