Jeff Weisberg on Wed, 29 May 2002 18:20:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] VPN

|   I have a friend who wants to connect two offices via Virtual Private
| Network.  There is also one telecommuter.  Each office already has an
| internet connection with multiple users (5 and 10, I think), and I'm sure
| they will want to still have access to the internet.  I say this because I
[...]
| Would this be a good
| way to go?
|   I'm still not sure how to bring the telecommuter into the picture.
|   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the short answer: "It depends"

the slightly longer answer: there are 3 basic approaches:

	1) each office connects to the internet using something like
	   a cisco 1700. VPN configured between the 2 routers.
	   telecommuter runs software, creating VPN to one of the 2
	   routers.

	2) each office installs a windows/linux/other box (VPN server).
	   VPN created btwn 2 boxes. existing routers configured to route
	   appropriate traffic to VPN box. telecommuter runs software, creating
	   VPN to one of the 2 "VPN servers".
	   expect to do a bit of shaking/jiggling/playing if "VPN server"
	   and telecommuter run different platforms (windows <-> linux)

	3) hire a consultant. (disclaimer, Jeff is available for such work,
	   and thus may be biased in suggesting this solution).

some things to consider:
	what is their budget
	how do they currently connect to the internet
	what platform does the telecommuter run
	will there be more telecommuters or offices in the future
	what sort of in-house expertise do they have for troubleshooting, etc
	what level of security is required (neither 1 nor 2 is appropriate if the
	client is a bank transferring funds).

see:
	http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/1700.htm
	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/largeent/learn/technologies/VPNs.html