gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 30 May 2002 03:06:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 12:05:30AM -0400, Jason Costomiris wrote:
> tripwire != wasteful.
>
> Is there the slightest chance that this machine will ever have contact
> with the Internet?  There's always a chance of compromise.

Tripwire's basically useless if you don't use it right, and most
people don't. The statically-linked binaries and databases *must*
live on removable--not just unmounted, that's no help--media, and
you *must* verify regularly using this removable media. Any clueful
attacker will clear an on-disk Tripwire database in such a way that
you'll never know, and anyone not clued enough to notice Tripwire's
installed will leave traces you won't need Tripwire to notice.

That's a bit of an exageration, I suppose: an on-disk Tripwire
might tip you off a bit sooner to a failed attack, especially if
you're not otherwise monitoring your system properly, but it is in
no way a real security measure.

(Fwiw, I don't use Tripwire, but rather mtree(8), which has been in
BSD sources since 4.3BSD Reno, so around June of 1990. I do run it
automatically on-disk to check the system regularly--rather, all
the free BSDs do by default--but I also keep it, along with some
other security testing stuff, on a zip disk which I use to check
changes on the system periodically.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net