Kevin Brosius on Fri, 31 May 2002 15:10:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Greetings, and Job Search

Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> Howdy, y'all.  I'm a core developer of Perl and a Debian developer,
> and I've just moved into the area.  I've just subscribed to the PLUG
> mailing list and I'm planning to show up at the next meeting.

Hey, welcome to the area!

> I'm also looking for work.  Since my qualifications are strongest in
> Open Source areas, I thought I'd ask here if anyone's heard about some
> great job that I would be a good match for.  (Even not-so-great jobs
> would be nice. :-()  Posting my resume would be obnoxious; suffice it
> to say I've taught classes in Perl and C++, I've been writing C since
> 1983, and I've worked all over Linux, including hacking the kernel.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of open source development going on.  But
there are companies using open source tools, or pieces of open source
tools in there development process and/or for closed source products.

The company I work at has some openings, although we lean toward
real-time embedded C experience.  It helped me having Linux experience
when I applied here, because the primary development workstation is
Solaris, and I knew a bunch of the basic tools.  We also use gcc as the
primary compiler for our products (targets of Solaris and vxWorks on
multiple processors.)

--
Kevin Brosius