gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:52:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sw bootloader

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:07:59PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I have a really crappy compaq that I want to use as a beater to try out
> new oses and the like, crashing it as often as possible, etc.

Many OSes that run on i386 machines allow isntallation from another
OS. (It's possible to install both Linux and NetBSD from a running
Windows system, even easier if your disk is already partitioned and
you're not actually *replacing* windows. I think it's possible to
install NetBSD from Linux, though it's been a while since I played
with that.)

In any case, if you've got a running system installed, you should be
able to use its local tools to paritition and format extra paritions
and, provided your running OS supports the file system of the other
OS, it should even be able to perform the installation if you do it
manually (unpacking the tarballs at the root of whatever disk you'll
be using is plenty to install most open source OSes, provided you
know how to teach your bootloader about the new OS).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net