Bill Jonas on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:58:36 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sw bootloader

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:07:59PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I can't boot from floppy b/c it's busted and the replacement floppy
> drive doesn't work.

I seem to recall that Compaqs (older ones, anyway) use some sort of
weird proprietary floppy drive on the IDE bus.

> cdrom is out as this thing can't el torito--compaq idiots!

Depending on how old it is, the El Torito standard may not have existed
when this thing was made.

If you decide you want to/have to spend money, you might not want to
dump it into this machine.  Wal-mart sells PCs without an OS so you
don't have to pay the Microsoft tax.  And all the hardware in these
works with Linux.

Original story:
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/04/29/0218241.shtml?tid=7

Follow-up where it mentions them replacing the winmodems with real
hardware modems:
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/02/1514240&mode=thread&tid=7

Link to Wal-mart page selling these (price range is $400-800, ranging
from 1GHz Duron or Celeron with 128MB RAM to high-end Athlon XP with
512MB RAM or high-end Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM, with 40GB hard disk):
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=86798&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A86798&bti=0&sb=61

I heard somewhere that these are only available on the web site, not in
the stores.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin