Paul . L . Snyder on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:38:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sw bootloader

On Mon, June 3, 2002, "Bill Jonas" <bill@billjonas.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 12:07:59PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>> I can't boot from floppy b/c it's busted and the replacement floppy
>> drive doesn't work.
>
> I seem to recall that Compaqs (older ones, anyway) use some sort of
> weird proprietary floppy drive on the IDE bus.

Is that the LS-120 drive?  Painfully, morbidly slow drive that could
read 120MB media that looked like floppy disks (as well as regular
floppy disks).  You had to pay extra to get one of those.  Actually, I
think I recall seeing LS-120 as an option on one of Compaq's recent
Itanium servers, so it's not dead yet.

>> cdrom is out as this thing can't el torito--compaq idiots!
>
> Depending on how old it is, the El Torito standard may not have existed
> when this thing was made.

Check out the Smart Boot Manager [ http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/ ].
It's supposed to be able to boot indirectly from an ATAPI CDROM.

Another to check out is the Extended Operating System Loader (XOSL)
[ http://www.xosl.org/ ].  The current version (1.1.5) apparently
integrated code from Smart Boot Manager, allowing CD-boot.

XOSL has a full GUI.  Smart BM is text-based, but fits into 30kb.  You'll
still need an OS Loader (GRUB, LILO, etc.) on top of either boot manager.
I've played with an earlier ersion of XOSL, but was a bit
underwhelmed.  GRUB does everything that I need, and quite flexibly.
GRUB does not currently support booting from CDROM, though, to the best
of my knowledge.

HTH,
pls