Bill Jonas on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:55:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] sw bootloader

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 02:33:58PM -0400, Paul.L.Snyder@gsk.com wrote:
> On Mon, June 3, 2002, "Bill Jonas" <bill@billjonas.com> wrote:
> > I seem to recall that Compaqs (older ones, anyway) use some sort of
> > weird proprietary floppy drive on the IDE bus.
>
> Is that the LS-120 drive?

No.  I was a 3.5" 1.44MB floppy disk drive.  I was working with some old
Compaqs at the CCIL thing a couple months back and when putting a
machine together I hooked things up wrong and it wouldn't boot.  I asked
for assistance and someone came along and redid the cabling, putting
(IIRC) the hard disk and floppy drive on the same cable and the CD-ROM
on a different cable.  Exceedingly odd stuff, but it booted just fine
after that.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin