gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:50:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] -R vs. find(1) + xargs(1)

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 11:19:25AM -0400, Jeff Weisberg wrote:
> or you know that chown will take a group argument, so that
> you can do with both with one command.

You missed my point; you don't want to use the group portion of
chown (especially if you're doing recursion of any type) very much
because the user owner of a file does NOT define its group owner
reliably. People share files using groups (even though they should
really do so using ACLs), and a misplaced -R will bring development
crashing down.

> end-users don't know about acls. you'll be fine. :-)

Bullshit. I told them to use them. Becuase I hate being bothered to
create groups for them. :^>

> the first time you needed them and didn't use them is already too late.
> get out your backup tapes--you are "owned".

If you've got clever, evil users, yep. (Weren't we discussing
clueless, newbie users, though? ;^>)

> *always* use the -print0 form or the -exec form.

Never use the -exec form. It's horribly broken in various vendors'
find(1)s. (I've forgotten which and how, since I long ago noticed
that I never wanted to use it.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net