Beldon Dominello on Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:30:21 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking question

Thanks, Doug and Paul, for your responses.  I'll let you know what happens (I
work at the museum on weekends, so tomorrow I'll try it).

On Friday 07 June 2002 01:35, Doug Crompton wrote:
>  That Museum sounds neat. I collect antique radios and I am a member of
> the AWA - Antique Wireless Assoc.  I hope to get there sometime.

Cool!  I'm doing some interesting work but, as of now, I'm the only
computer-type geek in the place so a lot falls on me.  The museum's working
members (i.e. those who show up regularly to do the work) tend to be old
hardware-type geeks, as you might expect.  The good news is I'll be starting
a user group here and using part of our new 87,000 square foot building for
meetings.  Hopefully, I can interest a few to help out.  There's a butt-load
of computer work to do and so far, I'm the only one who can.

I've currently got a set-up in my own studio with 2 turntables-- one for LPs
and one for 78s.  We have a large collection which I'm transferring to CD so
that we can rent out copies (selling is too complicated legally).  We're also
going to be running Koha library software (http://www.koha.org) as well as
Grand Salmar Station (http://www.salmar.com/gss/grandsalmar.html) for
internal communications.  Eventually, we're going to be able to afford
internet commectivity.  A phone would be nice.  Now every time I need
something off the net, I have to go home, download it, then bring it back.
Funny how spoiled you get with a broadband connection.

	-Beldon

--
"... And remember: if you don't like the news, go out and make some of
your own."