Doug Crompton on Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:40:20 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking question

Beldon,

 That Museum sounds neat. I collect antique radios and I am a member of
the AWA - Antique Wireless Assoc.  I hope to get there sometime.

 As far as the network question. You did not specify what protocol you
were using in the network but I suspect IP and Linux, since this is a
Linux list! The network has a netmask. If you are using the non internet
routed local network - 192.168.x.x the netmask could be 255.255.0.0
Meaning that anything in the 192.168.x.x range would be routed locally.
The default would specify that anything else be routed to a specific
machine which would be able to deal with addresses outside of that range.
If no machine needs to talk to anything outside of this range then the
default would not be necessary.

 You did not say what services you want the workstations to use at the
"server" They could be routed on an individual basis through each
computers host table or if you want to get more sophisticated a local
domain name lookup. In that case the workstations would point their domain
name server entry to the IP address of the server. There are any number of
options as to how to do this. You might want to use NFS which would allow
you to mount a server path on a workstation or you might use samba,
especially if you have a mix of windows and Linux computers.

A local network, not connected to anywhere else, is rather simple. If you
should decide to connect to the internet then the server would need a
firewall separating the local 192.168.x.x address space from the assigned
internet IP address on the server. This of course adds security risks
and other headaches to the mix though.

Doug

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Beldon Dominello wrote:

> I am building a small network for the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum
> of Connecticut (http://www.nationalcommunicationsmuseum.org) and I have a
> fairly basic question that I haven't come across before.
>
> Normally, when you set up a network, you give the default gateway as your
> router or firewall.  what if there's no gateway to the outside world?  We
> have no interhnet conenctivity yet (not even a phone line), so how does the
> traffic get from, say, workstation to server?  Is hooking up two machines
> with either a hub or crossover cable sufficient?  what do I put in to the
> "default gateway" configuration?
>
> Thanx!
>
> 	-Beldon
>
> --
> Hell hath no fury like a bureaucrat scorned.
> 		-- Milton Friedman

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *