Doug Crompton on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 05:38:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

 Just to make it clear xDSL as it is often called refers to a multitude of
formats. We are usually talking about ADSL -Asyncronous Data Subscriber
Line - which has a maximum loop range of 12-15K feet from your CO. It will
not work through a carrier system (SLC). There is a variety of xDSL that
will go to 46K feet and work through Fiber or carrier systems and that is
IDSL - which is a DSL version of ISDN. It runs at (usually) 142K in both
directions. It does NOT have a voice band although there are formats that
incorporate a voice phone connection. So there is a DSL for virtually
everyone if the line provider is willing to provide it. At the moment
Verizon will not qualify a line for any format beyond 18K feet. That is
what I am in a battle with them over at the moment.

www.crompton.com/Verizon-PUC/Verizon-PUC.html

Doug

> Actually, no. The line from your home to the CO is NOT Digital. It really
> is still analog, and will continue to be analog into the forseeable future.
> If it really were a digital line, you would not be able to use an analog
> modem (ie dial-up) on that line. That's why in may hotels you can't use
> your modem -- they DO have a digital PBX.
>
> The line from your home to the CO is normally a "dry-copper" pair. If you
> live in an apartment building or development, you may have a "green box."
> in which case, the line is analog from your wall jack to that "green box,"
> where it is multiplexed together with "everybody else" onto a "T-circuit"
> and shipped back to the CO.
>
> But analog is why you can have DSL service. DSL was developed as a
> technique for providing digital service over an analog line.  Similarly,
> until they put the DSLAM in the "green box" at the curb, instead of at the
> CO, people in many appartment buildings and developments can't get DSL
> because they do have T-service into that "green box."
>
> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
> Information Services and Computing (ISC)   Networking & Telecommunications
> University of Pennsylvania
> magill@isc.upenn.edu                       magill@acm.org
> http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/      magill@mcgillsoceity.org

*  Doug Crompton	   *