Jeff Weisberg on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 05:38:42 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

| > the DSL provider is providing what is, effectively, a point-to-point
| > leased-line from you to the ISP.
|
| No, they really aren't.

No, effectively, it really is, as far as a typical end-user is concerned.

It certainly isn't exactly, but the typical end-user[1] can safely ignore
what is going on behind the curtain.

in the case of a typical user with a "Verizon DSL" line with a 3rd party
ISP, in answering the question "who does what", the "icky" details
can be ignored. As far as answering the original question of "who does what",
the relationships, from the point of view of the end-user, are the same.
The analogy holds.

| They're *paying* for a leased line from
| themselves to the CO, and providing service over that leased line
| from the DSLAM to their network (which, eventually, touches with a
| public network or five).

uhm, maybe, depending on how the various they/them/their dereference.

| > on the other hand, other DSL providers (eg Covad), require the ISP
| > connect only once (as opposed to in every region), but charge more
| > for out-of-region connections.
|
| Covad is drastically different from Verizon, as they're not at all a

they are the same as Verizon "the DSL Provider" division, different than
Verizon "the wire provider" division, Verizon "the telco" division, Verizon
"the ISP" division, etc.

| line provider. They're a third party between the line provider and
| the ISP some times called the "DSL provider" or something like that.

hence my use of the phrase "DSL provider", above.

| In the case of Covad being involved, your line provider would be
| Verizon, Covad would lease the space and line from them for the
| DSLAM, and your ISP would connect to Covad's network to get your
| traffic routed to them.

correct.

	--jeff

[1] it is probably safe to say that I am not, and you are not, typical end-users.