Bill Jonas on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 11:59:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 01:48:48AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Are you saying that you can have a raw connection with DSL and not have
> an ISP if you have your own domain and servers?

Sure, if you don't care about accessing the Internet.  An ISP is an
*Internet* Service Provider, after all.  Of course, if you went this
route, people on the Internet wouldn't be able to access you, either.

The way DSL works is that you have someone, in this case Verizon,
supplying you with copper wire, a physical connection.  Then you have
someone else, we'll say Speakeasy or DCA for the sake of argument,
providing you with an IP connection to their network, and by extension,
the Internet.

If you prefer to think of it in terms of the OSI model, Verizon provides
Layer 1, Physical.  (One could say they also provide Layer 2, Data Link,
but that's more a function of the DSL hardware.)  Speakeasy or DCA
provides Layers 3 and 4, Network and Transport.  You, of course, are
responsible for Session, Presentation, and Application, Layers 5-7 (as
you would be with any sort of connectivity).

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin