gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:58:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

[No need to include my email address on replies, Arthur; just means
I get the email twice.]

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:29:15AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> I'm really new at this.  I can't recognize a reference in dmesg.

No sweat.

> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
> ide: Assuming 33MHz PCI bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
> PIIX: chipset revision 2
> PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
> PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX: chipset revision 2
> PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xff90-0xff97, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xff98-0xff9f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
> PDC20267: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
> PDC20267: chipset revision 2
> PDC20267: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20267: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xfe80-0xfe87, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0xfe88-0xfe8f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

This is the initial probe of your IDE controller and bus.

> hda: WDC AC31000H, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: LTN526D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdc: IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
> hde: Maxtor 5T040H4, ATA DISK drive

These are all your IDE drives. hda and hde are your hard drives.
You're booting off of hde.

hdb is your CD-ROM (apparently also a DVD-ROM, unless it's been
misprobed) and hdc is your Zip drive.

> hdb: driver not present

Here's where we run into trouble; you don't have a driver for that
CD-ROM in your kernel.

> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present
> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present
> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> hdb: driver not present

... and the kernel's *really* angry about it. :^>

> There is no /dev/cdrom.  the closest block devices in /dev/ are cdu31a,
> cdu535, cm205cd & cm206cd.  There are 1500+ entries in /dev/.  Is there
> something else I should scan for?

Nope, those are totally separate devices (whose drivers should have
man pages; try man cdu and man cm).

You'll need to load (plausibly as a module, don't necessarily need
to rebuild your kernel) a driver for your CD/DVD-ROM. It's possible
that Linux's SCSI-IDE emulation module would do the trick; I don't
really know. (There are others on the mailing list who could help
more on just what module you want to load.)

If you're go off and search google or something for the appropriate
drive, use the string "LTN526D" (which is the vendor's device code
for your CD-ROM).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net