Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:38:37 -0400

[PLUG] cdrom mounting

Somebody said that disaster is opportunity.  I had been trying to
install RH 7.2 on my family computer with only an external scsi cdrom
that I could not get any install routine to recognize.  Physically, the
box had no more room for an internal device.  Well, the failure of a
hard drive freed up the space for an internal atapi drive, and I was
then able to install the OS onto the remaining drive like cream cheese
on a hot bagel.

While I was able to install from the cd, I am now having trouble
mounting it.  I keep getting the message "/dev/cdrom is not a valid
block device".

Here is the contents of fstab:

LABEL=/              /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
none                 /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                 /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                 /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hde4            swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom           /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hdc4            /mnt/zip100.0           auto    noauto,owner,kudzu
0 0
/dev/fd0             /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu
0 0

(sorry for the wrapping)

I can see, on boot, that the cdrom is being recognized.  In the event
that the system was setting the cdrom up as a device other than
'cdrom', I have been trying to watch the boot, but it is flying by so
fast that I cannot see it.

Any suggestions?