Will Dyson on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:19:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] VCD mastering under linux

ian reinhart geiser wrote:

Okay first off what I am doing is not 100% legal but since the MPAA has seen it fit not to master one of my all time favorite movie on DVD I am taking it on myself to at least make it in VCD format. I got to the first part and had

[snip]

Thanks in advance for helping me in my petty crimes ;)

Actually, since you own a copy of the movie in VHS, converting it into SVCD format for your own use is compleatly within your rights.

As for converting divx (MPEG-4) to MPEG-2, every tool I've been able to find seems to assume you want to go the other way for the ripping of DVDs.

I did find a program called transcode, which purports to be a general framework for converting between video formats. It claims to have plugins for divx input and mpeg2 output. I didn't go so far as to actually test that it works, however.

http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettingen.de/~ostreich/transcode/

Once you have the file in mpeg2 format, you need to convert it into a SVCD image file (writing it to a iso9660 filesystem won't cut it). Gnu VCDimager seems to be the standard tool for that.

http://www.vcdimager.org/

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman