Arthur S. Alexion on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:44:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Monday 10 June 2002 09:35 am, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Somebody said that disaster is opportunity.

> While I was able to install from the cd, I am now having trouble
> mounting it.  I keep getting the message "/dev/cdrom is not a valid
> block device".

> Any suggestions?

Well, is Linux like a fine wine?  Does it improve with age when left
alone?  Here is the strange conclusion to this story.

Early on in this thread, someone suggested that I look at the
/dev/cdrom file, and see if the link is OK.  I pointed Konqueror at
/dev/, but cdrom was not among the more than 1500 files.  I went to
work, and when I got back, I read the suggestion to create the cdrom
symbolic link, and tried it.  It returned an error message that the
file already existed.  Strangely, the file that was not there that
morning had materialized in my absense.

Then it was suggested that I run dmesg, but it returned an error.
There was something amiss with the driver for the ide-cd.  Went to work
again.

Last night, I powered up the computer and started changing out of my
work clothes.  At that time a thunderstorm knocked out the power in my
neighborhood.  No UPS.  About 10 PM power was restored, but our main
breaker had sustained damage and we were left the sole house in the
neighborhood without power.

This morning the breaker was replaced, and the computer booted up.
Magically, automount opened a Konqueror window with the cdrom mounted.

So, the problem is fixed and I really want to thank all that gave me
help.  While it appears that the computer fixed itself, without human
intervention, what probably happened is that the suggestions worked.
The computer just needed to power down and up for them to take effect.

Thanks again to all.