Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:57:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Monday 10 June 2002 10:54 am, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:41:26AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > hdb: LTN526D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> >
> > What next?
>
> # ln -s hdb /dev/cdrom

Now I am more confused.  I raised this question this morning.  At that
time Konqueror did not list a file named cdrom in /dev/.  Now I ran the
above link command and got the response that the file cdrom already
exists.  I go back to Konqueror and there it is.  It is linked to hdb.
So I go to hdb.  Now Konqueror represents most of the block devices as
3 blocks with a lock icon.  The owner is root and the group is disk.
permissions for user and group are read and write.  Well hdb is the
three blocks without the lock (if that means anything relevant).  Also,
the owner is not root, but arthur (my username), and the read and right
permissions are for user only, not the disk group.

Should I try giving the group read and write permissions?  This is the
family computer.  There are going to be other users.  Should I also
change ownership to root?