Art Clemons on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:47:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

Arthur S. Alexion:
This is one of the first things that I tried, having learned a little about fstab in setting up an external zip drive on another machine. Doesn't work since there is something wrong with the ide-cd module. Thanks, anyway.

I was really trying to answer how to allow users to mount the cdrom without having to change permissions in /dev, which can be a big security problem. One point to consider with the real mounting problem you have and that's to ask if perhaps your kernel is configured to read cdroms as scsi devices, I know that my atap ide cdrw only works properly as an emulated scsi device if I want to write to the silly thing. It once took me a few hours to figure out why a dvd couldn't be found for the same reason, the kernel didn't support ide cdroms.