Michael Leone on Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:47:55 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Setting up a LinkSys Wireless NIC

On 11 Jun 2002 at 11:12, Jason wrote:

> (because it became quite hot the last time it worked).

Hmm. I'll bear that in mind.

> Depending on how you have routing setup, you might want to bring eth0
> down while you're working with wlan0.

Oh, eventually I will just stop using the eth0 3Com card. I just
needed both loaded, else I couldn't send email from the laptop (as
easily).

> > but ... where do I go from here? I have a DHCP server running on the
> > wired part of my LAN, but "pump" doesn't seem to locate an address
> > for "wlan0". (I tried "pump" and "pump -i wlan0"
> >

> I haven't used DHCP over wireless under Linux. The Access Point may
> not be configured to pass through broadcast packets (assuming they are
> even being sent over the wireless link at this point). It might be
> interesting to try setting up with a static IP first just to test the
> wireless link.

I didn't see anything in the AP that mentioned it. Isn't an AP
(basically) just a hub? And would therefore pass all the protocols,
ports, etc?

So I should make an entry in /etc/network/interfaces, along the lines
of

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.100.60
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.100.0
        broadcast 192.168.100.255
        gateway 192.168.100.254

and then what? Reboot? do a /etc/init.d/networking start ?

> Ok, I'm curious, what's Libranet? Another Linux distro, but geared
> towards Libraries? Or, is this libra as in free?

Libranet is Debian-based distro, but easier to set up, configure, etc
than straight Debian. Based on Debian testing (aka woody). Ya gotta
love that apt-get. :-)

Thanks for the help.