gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:56:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: SCSI controllers 4sale

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 06:06:39AM -0600, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> yeah, an ultra160 is about $300. this model peaks at 40Mb/s, or so the
> marketing literature says.

Yep. But if you have any non-UW hardware on the same bus (don't
recall whether that card has two buses or just one), you'll be
limited to the speed of the slower hardare. (That is, if you just
have a fast-and-narrow, you won't be able to go above 20 MB/s as the
bus can't be wide if any devices aren't.) Um... I think. But don't
trust me without checking the documentation. (I've got a good link
explaining all SCSI stuff buried in my bookmarks at home; google
should turn it up, but I haven't got time to look right now. Someone
remind me to post it later.)

Note that 20 MB/s, much less 40, is really plenty for most things
most people like to do at home. I really am spoiled by having 160
MB/s and up (fiber channel theoretically gets to 200 MB/s, but any
vendor who quotes you that number as what you're likely to see is
lying to you).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net